Every job board is unique, and you may require additional information that our default fields don't allow you to capture. If you're on a Professional or Enterprise level plan, you'll have the option to add custom fields to Candidate Profiles, Employer Profiles, Application Forms and the Job Posting Form.
This is great for job boards with unique recruiting requirements. If you're a veteran focused board, you can ask candidates questions about their service. For a board focused on Delivery or Trucking jobs, you may want to ask candidates what types of licenses they have, or ask employers what types of licenses their jobs require. The possibilities are endless! You can even make custom fields on Jobs and Profiles searchable or filterable (depending on the data type), so candidates can use this information to quickly find the jobs that fit their background.
To setup a custom field:
- In your admin panel, navigate to Site Config.
- Choose the Themes & Customization tab, and click Edit Custom Fields.
- You'll have the option to create Job Fields, Profile Fields, Employer Fields, and Applicant Fields from this screen. Click the Create new button corresponding to the type of field you'd like to create.
- Select the Field Type. You'll have four options:
- Text Field: Users will be able to type any value in the field. Use this option when you expect the answer to be a few words.
- Text Field Multiline: This option is similar to Text Field, but allows for a long answer. Use this option when you expect answers in one or more complete sentences.
- Radio Button: Radio buttons allow a single answer to be selected. This option is great for "Yes or No" questions, or other instances where you know the answer will be one of a few options.
- Drop Down: Drop downs allow users to select their answer from a menu of preset options. You can optionally set drop downs to allow for multiple selections.
- Enter a Label for the field. This is the label that will appear next to the form when the field is being filled out.
- Enter an optional Short Label for the field. This label will be shown when the label is displayed as a header for filtered search items.
- Enter a Placeholder. Placeholder text allows you to add grey text inside the field to provide further clarification, an example, etc. This field is not available for the Radio Button field type.
- Choose additional Field Options as desired. We'll provide explanations for these fields below, but you can also hover the question mark icon in the app for more information.
- Click Save.
JobBoard.io provides a number of options that allow you make your custom fields behave as needed for your site.
- Mark the field Required to force users to supply an answer in order to submit the form.
- Set a field to Hidden to hide the field from view in both Admin and public views. This is a good way to essentially delete a field without losing data.
- For Employer and Profile custom fields, selecting Ask on Signup will include the custom field as a part of the registration form.
- Selecting Searchable will make the response text searchable for Job and Profile fields. This option applies to Text and Multiline Text fields only. Please note, enabling the Confidential setting will prevent fields from being searchable in both the admin and your job board.
- Selecting Filterable will make the answers filterable on Job and Profile Search. Applies to Dropdown and Radio button fields only.
- For Applicant fields, you have the option to enter an Expected Answer and Rejection Message. If an Applicant enters a value for the field that isn't an exact match to the Expected Answer, the application will be blocked and the Rejection Message will be displayed to the job seeker. It's recommended this option be used only on Radio Button and Drop Down fields.
- Selecting Confidential will keep the field hidden from front end display and only show the fields in Edit mode or via the Admin.
- If you set a field to Admin Editable Only, the field will only be visible/editable in your Admin panel.
Updated 4 months ago